Monday, June 12, 2017

My 150 Favorite Films - #3

A New Leaf (1971)

There are lines of dialogue in A New Leaf that I have been using in my everyday life for years, among them, "she has to be vacuumed every time she eats," and "I've never spent a more physically destructive evening in my life." Although the director, Elaine May, has all but disavowed this film after the studio took it away from her and recut it, I still think this is by far, the best thing she has ever done, and considering her illustrious career, that really is saying something. The plot, concerning a playboy who spends all his money, and has no choice but to marry a wealthy woman, is but one factor. The acting by May and Walter Matthau is superlative. The denouement is one of the most satisfying ever committed to celluloid. A cult classic and a hidden gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home