Wednesday, April 09, 2014

My 150 Favorite Movies - #144

The World According to Garp (1982)
Garp holds a special place in my heart, mainly for being the stunning film debut of that awesome actress, Glenn Close. Many years later, I was lucky enough to get her autograph after seeing her on Broadway in Sunset Boulevard. When I told her how impressive I thought she was in her first movie, she actually looked like it was something she'd been longing to hear. That's actresses for you. Also, kudos to Robin Williams for his amazing performance as Garp, and to George Roy Hill for managing to direct a successful adaptation of a generally well-regarded novel. And the opening credits sequence of the "floating" baby to the tune of The Beatles, "When I'm 64," is very possibly my favorite opening credits of all time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home