Monday, March 03, 2008

My Left Eye


Finally caught up with two movies I've been wanting to see for a while:
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007), based on Jean-Dominique Bauby's memoir, concerns a man who suffers from a stroke while in mid-career and is completely and utterly paralyzed - the only thing he can move is his left eye. Beautifully photographed (I think it won an Oscar for best cinematography), this film manages to be moving without being unutterably sad.
I also saw the quasi-Tarantinoesque In Bruges (2007), about two hit men on the lam in Belgium. With a screenplay by the Irish playwright, Martin McDonagh, who wrote the very witty, very violent, play The Lieutenant of Inishmore, a few years ago, which I saw and very much enjoyed, this is very much in a like-minded vein. I recommend both of these films highly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home