Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Deader the Better, or, "The Classics, Reclassified"*


While rereading Pride and Prejudice last night, I noted my frustratingly lonely predilection for reading well-known authors who long ago ascended to the Pearly Gates, as it were. But I persist, because, in the words of my would-be mentor, Diane Sawyer, when asked what she was planning on reading one summer, "I haven't done justice to George Eliot." Speaking of which, while talking up Middlemarch at work the other day, somebody turned to me and said, "Is that by Dickens?" Well, no. Herewith, a sampling of some other Great Old Books I've enjoyed:
As you know, many of the above titles have been made into fine and quite delightful films. But there is nothing like the book!

*with apologies to Mr. Richard Armour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home