Friday, April 13, 2007

No, But I Heard the Book


I had wanted to read the book Little Children by Tom Perrotta for quite some time, and when the movie was released, to generally good reviews I wanted to see it. Lacking both time and motivation to see and/or read it, I finally settled on listening to the book - a terrific compromise, as it's a wonderful "listen" and even includes an author interview on the final tape. Perrotta's mordantly funny treatment of some generally dark material - the sexual mores of modern-day suburbia, replete with such colorful characters as a convicted child molester and an ex-cop who would like to see him hanged in effigy, would potentially make for an interesting film treatment (I kept picturing Maggie Gyllenhaal in the lead, as opposed to Kate Winslet who played the part). I guess I will see this week when it arrives on DVD whether the film in my head matches what's on the screen.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Thanks so much for recommending this book - it was great! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't understand why they changed Todd's name to Brad.

5:41 PM, May 04, 2007  
Blogger Helene H. said...

I'm about halfway through the movie - it's good, but I think I needed more of a break between reading the book and seeing the movie (the book's always better). I think they changed his name from Todd to Brad, because Todd is also the director's name.

6:35 PM, May 05, 2007  
Blogger Fred said...

I was thinking that myself, but it seemed too obvious to me.

11:15 AM, May 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home