Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Fighting vainly the old ennui


Movies I have professed to love, though I really kind of, um, didn't:

1) Chinatown(1974)
Maybe it was the retro fabulous eyebrows that Faye Dunaway sported, but I couldn't look past them to figure out the complicated plot of this convoluted movie!

2) L.A. Confidential(1997)
Practically everything and everybody in this movie leaves me totally cold, with the sole exception of the amazing soundtrack.

3) Blazing Saddles (1974)
Let's just say it's no Young Frankenstein. Or even Support Your Local Sheriff!

4) Raising Arizona (1987)
I could probably stand to look at this again, as it's been awhile and I really do like their other movies, but to me this was a condescending piece of claptrap.

5) As Good as it Gets (1997)
Or not. As the case may be.

6) The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
I know this one hovers around #1 on IMDB's top 250; however, escaping jail via a spoon?? Yeah, that could work.

7) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Yes, I know that this is an amazing and powerful movie, and one that I hope never to have to sit through again.

8) Raging Bull (1980)
As far as I'm concerned this is not the best film of the 1980's (see Reds). Or even the director's best work (see Goodfellas). What this is is borderline unsitthroughable.

9) Star Wars (1977)
This franchise-launcher took off like a bat out of hell, but it's charm completely eludes me. From IMDB's user comments: "the beginning of the end of serious filmmaking."

10) Brazil (1985)
Again from IMDB: "Bloated, pretentious, self-indulgent." Sometimes one is in the mood for this sort of thing. Most times not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home