Wednesday, October 11, 2006

What I'm Reading Now

Cancer Vixen by Marisa Acocella Marchetto.
I have found a new lease on life ever since I've discovered the graphic novel (aka comic books). I haven't enjoyed anything this much since Betty and Veronica when I was a kid. It's like a really great cross between books and television. This is my 3rd book, the first two were Fun Home by Alison Bechdel, a memoir about a young gay cartoonist who comes out to her parents, only to find out that her father has been in the closet for decades. Unfortunately she never gets a chance to discuss this with her dad, as he dies in a mysterious accident(?) not long after. Next I read Embroideries by Marjane Satrapi about the sex lives of Iranian women, which was actually quite funny and charming. Cancer Vixen is Marchetto's take on her life before (shallow and sophisticated) and after (hopefully more courage and depth) cancer and how it changed both her values and her self-perception. I'm halfway through and so far I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home